VITA is a free program for anyone in the Lincoln community. We generally serve individuals and families with income under $54,000 as well as disabled or elderly individuals who need assistance completing their taxes. This includes both resident and non-resident individuals, with appointments generally taking around an hour.
Serve both resident and non-resident individuals
Amend your old returns
Complete past year returns that haven’t been filed yet
File for a personal ITIN number
Complete returns that include company loss, a nondeductible IRA, a minor’s investment income, or premium tax credits
File requests for a Social Security Number
Complete a form to determine a worker’s status for income tax purpose
To make an appointment: Call 402-472-6150 to get your 2016 tax return completed.
- What should I bring when I get my return done?
- Please bring a photo ID, your social security card or ITIN letter, and all government documents, including W-2’s, 1099’s, and 1098’s if you’re in school (this is not an exhaustive list of forms!).
- How long will my tax return take?
- It will take us about an hour to complete your tax return, and if we’re busy it can be a wait to get in with a preparer, so you should allow a few hours of your day for the return.
- Do I need to make an appointment?
- Yes, you do need to make an appointment! You can schedule a time by calling the number attached to the site you would like to visit.
- When can I get my return done?
- We start preparing tax returns in late January, and continue past the tax deadline, so you can schedule an appointment as soon as you have all the documents needed.
- How long after I file my return can I expect to receive my refund?
- If we file electronically, it should only take a few weeks. A paper return may take up to 8 weeks before your refund is issued. These times may be longer when the IRS is busier than usual.
- Nebraska East Union
- 35th and Holdrege
- Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center
- 1505 ‘S’ Street
- Anderson Library
- 3635 Touzalin Ave
- Eiseley Library
- 1530 Superior St
- Bennett Martin Library
- 14th and ‘N’ St
- Center for People in Need
- 3901 N 27th, Unit 1
- Asian Community and Cultural Center
- 144 North 44 Suite A
- Good Neighbor Center
- 2617 ‘Y’ St
- Indian Center
- 1100 Military Road
- 402-438-5231 Ext 105
To make an appointment for the 2016 Tax Year, please call 402-472-6150. Tax returns are typically completed on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the year. The 2017 Tax Year schedule is not yet posted.